The Daily Californian Online

Woman Seriously Injured After Being Struck by Bus

By Sarah Mohamed
Daily Cal Staff Writer
Monday, March 7, 2011
Category: News > City > Crime

A woman sustained serious injuries after being run over by a bus in Downtown Berkeley Monday afternoon.

The woman, who was walking westbound down Center Street in the Downtown area, was struck at around 4:30 p.m. by a Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory bus that was traveling westbound on Center and making a right northbound turn onto Shattuck Avenue.

"I saw the bus whip around the corner, and then I heard the worst scream I've ever heard in my entire life," said Coleton Tidwell, an employee at Juice Appeal, whose storefront is on the corner of Center and Shattuck. "Then I saw the girl under the bus."

According to a Berkeley Police Department Sgt. Mary Kusmiss, the woman has "very serious fractures" and will require surgeries and hospitalization, though it appears she will survive. The woman sustained serious injuries to her lower extremities and was transported to a local trauma center for medical treatment after being extricated from under the bus by Berkeley Fire Department personnel, she said in a statement.

"She was probably under there for over 30 minutes," said Hanna Song, an employee at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions. "She came out face up - they had to prop the bus up to get her out. Her whole body was entirely under the bus."

Tidwell said the woman was under the bus for at least 45 minutes.

"I was really confused as to why they left her under there for so long," Tidwell said. "Either her injuries weren't that bad or they were so bad that they didn't want to lift her."

The woman was crossing the street with another woman, though only one was hit by the bus.

Kusmiss said in a statement that the other woman "banged on the bus with her hand(s) to gain the driver's attention and was injured as a result." The other woman was treated and released.

Kusmiss added that Berkeley Fire Department personnel had to direct members of the large crowd that surrounded the scene to move back. They covered the area with caution tape which Berkeley police removed at around 5:30 p.m.

Lawrence Berkeley National Lab shuttle employees were at the scene of the accident, but declined to comment.

Article Link: