Friends of BART Shooting Victim File Civil Rights Lawsuit

Related Articles »





  • Printer Friendly Printer Friendly
  • Comments Comments (0)

Friends of Oscar Grant III have filed a federal civil rights lawsuit in response to their detainment at a BART Police Headquarters, claiming that they were falsely arrested, wrongfully searched and suffered emotional distress.

Then-BART police Officer Johannes Mehserle fatally shot an unarmed Grant on New Year's Day when responding to reports of a fight on one of the trains in the Fruitvale BART station.

Grant was taken to a hospital, while his friends were arrested and taken to the BART Police Station.

The friends-Jack Bryson, 21; Nigel Bryson, 19; Michael Greer, 22; Carlos Reyes, 21; and Fernando "June" Anicete, 20-were held, handcuffed, for four to five hours, said John Burris, the civil rights attorney representing them in the case.

Separated into different rooms and forced to sit on the floor, the five did not have access to a phone with which to contact legal counsel and were only allowed bathroom visits after repeated requests, Burris said.

The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court in San Francisco on Tuesday, seeks retribution from BART, Mehserle and BART police Officers Tony Pirone, Marysol Domenici, Jon Woffinden and Emery Knudtson as well as BART Police Chief Gary Gee and BART General Manager Dorothy Dugger.

BART spokesperson Jim Allison declined to comment on the pending litigation.

The lawsuit states that the five men spent "several hours of being

painfully handcuffed and/or mercilessly interrogated, all while mourning the demise of their childhood friend."

"(They were) suffering because their friend had been shot, and they didn't know his condition," Burris said.

Burris commented on the arrest, saying that what police deemed was a fight was really just pushing and shoving, and that it had calmed down by the time the train stopped. BART police had no cause to stop the group, he said. He is "extremely confident" the case will receive a favorable verdict.

Burris is also representing Grant's mother, Wanda Johnson, and his girlfriend, Sophia Mesa, the mother of his daughter, in a $50 million lawsuit filed early this year.

Tags: BART, OSCAR GRANT III, JOHANNES MEHSERLE


Contact Mollie Bloudoff-Indelicato at [email protected]



Comments (0) »

Comment Policy
The Daily Cal encourages readers to voice their opinions respectfully in regards to both the readers and writers of The Daily Californian. Comments are not pre-moderated, but may be removed if deemed to be in violation of this policy. Comments should remain on topic, concerning the article or blog post to which they are connected. Brevity is encouraged. Posting under a pseudonym is discouraged, but permitted. Click here to read the full comment policy.
White space
Left Arrow
Courts
Image Co-Op Community Discusses Drug Policies
Amid concerns about drug use in the Berkeley Student Cooperative and the im...Read More»
Courts
Image 'The Play' Photographer Sues For Copyright Infring...
Four seconds of clock time, five laterals and 55 yards after...Read More»
Courts
Image Trial Begins for Feb. 26 Protesters
The hearing for two protesters arrested during a Feb. 26 riot on Southside ...Read More»
Courts
Image Southside Resident Seeks Settlement With Two Frate...
Tensions between UC Berkeley fraternities and residents of...Read More»
Courts
Image Jury Convicts Mehserle of Involuntary Manslaughter
OAKLAND - Following the verdict convicting former BART police Off...Read More»
Courts
Image Blog Entry Introduced as Character Evidence in Fat...
OAKLAND-As the case for the 2008 fatal stabbing o...Read More»
Right Arrow




Job Postings

White Space