Two Shot In South BerkeleyBryan Thomas is the city news editor. Contact him at [email protected]
Monday, November 27, 2006
Two men were shot in South Berkeley in unclear circumstances last week but are expected to recover, police said.
Berkeley police officers responded to 911 calls reporting shots fired on the 2800 block of Sacramento Street between Oregon and Stuart streets at about 8:15 p.m. Tuesday, according to a statement released by Berkeley police Officer Ed Galvan.
Officers arriving on the scene found two male victims, aged 24 and 20, who had been shot. Paramedics from the Berkeley Fire Department responded and began advanced life support treatment.
The victims were transferred to a local hospital, likely Highland General Hospital in Oakland, said Berkeley police Lt. Matt Morizono.
Police said the victims refused to cooperate with the Berkeley Police Department homicide division, which is investigating the incident. As of Friday, no one had contacted the investigators with information.
“The only information I can release now is that both victims are still alive and are expected to recover,” Morizono said Friday. “I don’t know if (the victims) have started cooperating.”
Morizono said he did not know what kind of weapon had been used or how many wounds each victim sustained.
Morizono said it is not uncommon for victims in this type of crime not to cooperate with police.
“I can’t speak to their specific reasons,” he said. “Sometimes people of their ilk don’t like to talk to the police for fear of being labeled a snitch, even though they’re the victim.”
Police said the area of the shooting has been a hot spot for crime, particularly related to drug activity. This most recent shooting occurred just over a block away from the site of a shooting outside a house on Oregon Street on Oct. 17.
Morizono said the incidents are probably not related, but said “You do have sporadic drug dealing in that area.”
The shooting occurred less than half a mile away from the fatal shooting of Aderian Gaines, 36, in March.
Two men have pleaded guilty in connection with the shooting of Gaines. Last week, James Freeman, 29, was sentenced to two years in state prison for possession of a firearm as a previously convicted felon. The other man, Antonio Harris, is expected to be sentenced today for voluntary manslaughter and assault with a firearm.
Comments (0) »Comment Policy
The Daily Cal encourages readers to voice their opinions respectfully in regards to both the readers and writers of The Daily Californian. Comments are not pre-moderated, but may be removed if deemed to be in violation of this policy. Comments should remain on topic, concerning the article or blog post to which they are connected. Brevity is encouraged. Posting under a pseudonym is discouraged, but permitted. Click here to read the full comment policy.