Campus Activism Across the State of California
March 4: Day of ActionFootage from Berkeley, Oakland, and Sacramento from March 4, 2010, the day of action to defend public education throughout California.
Friday, March 5, 2010
Category: News > University > Higher Education
On March 4, protesters all across California left classrooms and took to the streets to advocate for support to public higher education. Below is a list of cities and campuses where those events took place. (Also, check out what happened at Berkeley, Davis, Sacramento and Los Angeles).
All numbers are approximate.
1. 300 students, faculty, administrators from Humboldt State University, as well as K-12 workers convened in Downtown Eureka to form a picket line that lasted into the early evening.
2. Hundreds of students, faculty and staff rallied at Sonoma State University. Students staged a two hour long sit-in of a campus building later in the day.
3. 1,000 demonstrators marched through Downtown Riverside eventually converging upon the office of state Senator Robert Dutton, R-Rancho Cucamonga.
4. 600 protesters blocked off University Drive in Irvine and marched on Interstate Highway 73.
5. A small group of campus organizers conducted outreach efforts on the UC Merced campus.
6. Hundreds of protesters at campus entrances caused the shutdown of the UC Santa Cruz campus due to "safety concerns." Some acts of vandalism were reported. 500 protesters took over the intersection of High and Bay streets-the main entrance to the campus-later in the evening and discussed further action after March 4.
7. 30 students and staff travelled from California State University, Chico, to attend the rally in front of the state Capitol.
8. Two thousand protesters from UC San Diego, San Diego State University and local community colleges marched from Balboa Park to the Governor's office.
9. 32 students at Fresno State University occupied the office of the campus vice president of student affairs.
10. 32 students at Fresno State University occupied the office of the campus vice president of student affairs.
11. Several hundred people attended a teach-in at California State University, San Bernardino.
12. 350 protesters demonstrated at UC Santa Barbara's Arbor, a central area on campus.
13. Hundreds of student picketed at San Francisco State University armed with giant puppets before joining a rally in the evening at the Civic Center.
An earlier version of this article misspelled San Bernardino.
The Daily Californian regrets the error.
Comments (0) »Comment Policy
The Daily Cal encourages readers to voice their opinions respectfully in regards to both the readers and writers of The Daily Californian. Comments are not pre-moderated, but may be removed if deemed to be in violation of this policy. Comments should remain on topic, concerning the article or blog post to which they are connected. Brevity is encouraged. Posting under a pseudonym is discouraged, but permitted. Click here to read the full comment policy.